Wednesday 25 October 2023

 There is an album to be reviewed here but I think the post is more to do with a modern trend for which Taylor Swift seems responsible for – That is re-recording your old albums.

It seems a lot of the time unnecessary and just done for the money or a massive ego (hi there, Roger Waters) but I also understand an artist wanting control of their music.

I think whether I would bother to investigate a re-recorded version would depend on my emotional attachment to the original. For example, I have no wish to hear Waters version of Dark Side of the Moon as I love the original but I’m happy to give the Cavalera Conspiracy take on Bestial Devastation a go as I have only had a fleeting acquaintance with the 1985 release.

So, the Cavalera brothers have decided to re-record the debut EP from Sepultura and it’s a very good listen if you already like their work.

It’s only 20 minutes long and that’s including a new track  

Musically it’s fantastic, lyrically its terrible (originally written in Portuguese, the band got a friend to translate directly to English). The sound is as brutal and fast as you expect with some spectacular drumming from Igor.

Whilst I enjoy the EP and it bears repeated listening, I still find myself asking, is it actually necessary?

No comments:

Post a Comment